I'm deviating from my usual topic of living with my... whatever, to discuss something a little lighter. Music.
I came across this 30 day song challenge on facebook where you're given a list and you have to pick a song that, in your opinion, matches the description and post the youtube video.
Seems simple, right? Actually, it's not. I've got strange tastes in music... I don't like the run of the mill stuff everyone else seems to like. In fact, very few people have heard of the stuff I listen to. Richard Walters? Age Pryor? Duncan Maitland? Fly My Pretties? Someone's bound to have heard of Jacqueline du Pre at least? Nope? Ok, fair dos. So the first difficulty I've got to overcome is actually trying to find the songs that fit. It's hard.
Secondly there is the problem of actually sitting down and deciding which song I'd have played at my wedding (Song Without Words for cello and piano), which song reminds me of a place (Cara Dillon's Falling Like a Star. Listened to it when I was sitting on a rock on the shore of Lake Wanaka, freezing my ass off.), a song that makes you feel sad (Family Tree, Fly My Pretties) and one you dance to (Legal Man, Belle and Sebastian. Obviously!). I have a song for every occasion, a song for every mood, but I have never really thought about it before. I've got whole albums that remind me of particular times. That makes it incredibly difficult to narrow my choices down to just 30.
Music is my escape. Well, actually, so is my local coffee shop, but that one's already been covered. Whenever I need to stop thinking I put on Bach's cello suites and I immediately get transported to a different place. I close my eyes and I am reminded why life is still so good. I get caught up in the seemingly effortless playing, especially of Rostroprovich, and I can almost feel the music lifting me. I get the shivers every single time I listen to him playing Prelude to suite one and I somehow still manage to wonder if he'll make the last note. I love it.
No comments:
Post a Comment