Saturday, 23 April 2011

Keeping it in the family.

We all know that life can be cruel, but get this.

Mum has lupus. She's had it for years but our old GP didn't pick up on it, despite her having some pretty obvious symptoms. The main thing, I guess, is that she's finally getting treatment, plaquenil and a prednisone injection, but it is still incredibly difficult to actually understand it.

I know, I know, it's only been a few days singe her diagnosis, but she's my mum. She shouldn't have to go through what I've been through, and am still going through, but she is. It's strange though. I'm now watching lupus from her perspective where it seems to take over their mobility, their decisions, flip sake, their life. Now I can understand just how difficult it's been for her when I flare, to have to see someone you love so much be in such agony.

It's made me realise that lupus sucks. I already knew that, but this just confirms it.

Onto me. I'm feeling as though I'm on a cusp of a flare. I've had 3 migraines this week, which is odd for me, and my joints are slowly swelling again, along with my legs in general. I can't do anything about it. I can't get to my rheumatologist until August. I don't have a nurse. My GP isn't allowed to do anything other than give me painkillers.

Imagine how my mum feels about this. She's got a fantastic rheumatologist, a nurse and treatment.

2 comments:

  1. So very sorry to find you are both suffering so. Lupus does suck. Will keep you in my thoughts at this difficult time. Be as well as your naughty immune system will allow. Best to you and yours,
    Headstrong

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Headstrong. It's all a bit head-frying, but I know she's being well looked after. We've got the same GP, who is amazing, and we're trying to work it so that I can get to her rheumie. Just makes more sense doing that.

    ReplyDelete