Friday, 10 December 2010

Simple lessons learnt

I've recently learned something that I should have discovered a really long time ago. I'm now at that really awkward stage of the flare where I'm half recovered but it could go either way very quickly. If I do nothing, I feel great. But, if I stand for too long, walk a little too quickly or even write for too long I'm back on the sofa not being able to move.

I've suddenly discovered that I need to listen to my body. Well, I've had to. It's difficult, I fully admit that, but I think it's long overdue. For so long, I was pushing myself beyond my limits, kept going when my joints were radiating enough heat to keep a small family warm for a week, when I was so tired I couldn't think and when I'd taken enough painkillers to knock out a horse. I've now decided that I can't keep doing that and I need to look after myself in the long term. Well, the lupus isn't going away, is it?

I know this probably seems really obvious, but I'm learning how to stop when it's that bad.

When I'm so tired I can't think, there's no point in trying to finish a mentally demanding task. It'll take twice as long and I'll only have to go back again as it won't be of a good standard. If I'm reading, I'd have to go over something at least three times before I understood it. Pointless.

Lupus hurts a lot, everyone should know that by now. I've lost count of the number of times I've cried in pain recently and, most of the time, I'd just push through it and keep going until I couldn't hold myself upright. I was discussing pain meds with someone last week and I discovered that it actually is a good idea to actually take it. Simple! But, even more importantly, stopping is another good idea when I need the serious painkillers.


Last week I achieved something I never thought I'd have been able to do. I booked tickets for a gig in June and it was my aim to get to that gig. I'd done a lot of the obvious things for a lupie, such as wrapping up warm for walking there, booking seats at the end of the row so I could stretch my legs out to prevent me getting stiff, making sure I had somewhere to stay the night, that sort of stuff, but I'd neglected one of the most essential: resting before it. I had slept badly the few nights before and there was a lot of stress the day of and, thanks to some very stupid food choices, my stomach was being horrible to me and that was knackering in itself. I still had a fantastic time, but it could have been better if could have learned these lessons a bit sooner.

Thankfully that wasn't the worst night out I've had, but it taught me the importance of looking after me, not just to enjoy myself for the next few hours, but to remain healthy, or as healthy as I can be, for as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment